Stakeholder Meeting Charlottetown, PEI
The Veterans Ombudsman held a stakeholder meeting in Charlottetown, PEI. Representatives from groups and organizations who support Veterans in various ways attended the event.
- The lack of family physicians causes stress for Veterans and their families. Not having a family doctor can cause significant delays in accessing needed disability benefits and other VAC programs that require medical documentation.
Pension for Life
- Some concerns raised about implementation of new Pension for Life, in particular the transition period, including the potential surge of non-medical releases prior to April 1, 2019.
Services for Senior Veterans
- Concerns were raised about moving to more online services. Seniors may not be able to access these services.
- Some stakeholders would like to see VAC do more face-to-face service provision in rural areas where there is no VAC office, and more outreach and personalized services to senior Veterans.
- Access to Long Term Care contract beds was noted as a concern, particularly for Veterans who did not serve in World War II or Korea.
Operational Stress Injury Social Support
- Concerns were raised that there hasn’t been an Operational Stress Injury Social Support (OSISS) peer support and family support coordinator in PEI for too long.
Transition and Rehabilitation
- The release process is too complex and some Veterans prefer to release as soon as possible. Extending the release process to ensure all benefits are in place prior to release may be harmful for some.
- Some Veterans need more time to rehabilitate before beginning a vocational program. Veterans are sometimes pushed into vocational programs before they are ready, before they have completed a necessary adjustment and reintegration period in civilian life.
- Royal Canadian Legion, Branch and Provincial Command
- Military Family Resource Centre
- ANAVETS New Brunswick
- Brave and Broken
- Provincial Government Member of the Legislative Assembly
- Veterans Affairs Canada District Manager
- Canadian Armed Forces
- Date modified: