Video transcript: Why come to us? 

The video shows a series of images of members of the military as well as Veterans and their families and presents information about our office. The narrator speaks.

Why come to us?

Everyone seeking or receiving services or benefits from Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) has the right to be treated with respect, dignity, fairness and courtesy. 

The Veterans Bill of Right sets out your right to fair treatment by VAC.

If you feel that any of your right have not been upheld or a decision is unfair, you have the right to make a complaint to the Veterans Ombud.

Who can make a complaint to our office?

If you are seeking or receiving services from VAC, or if you are working on behalf of someone, and you feel that you have been treated unfairly by VAC, we may be able to help you. 

Here, the images are accompanied by text naming the groups we assist: military Veterans, family, serving CAF members, serving and former RCMP members, survivors, and civilians with war service.

How can we help you?

First and foremost, we will listen to you.  We will review your file with you and help you to understand your options. If there’s a step you need to take before we can help, we tell you. If we open an investigation into your complaint, we will explain how that works.

We operate independently of VAC and we are impartial. We don’t take sides, not yours and not theirs.

If we find that there is something unfair in your case, we will advocate for fairness on your behalf. Our findings allow us to make recommendations to decision-makers, recommendations that can help you. Or prevent others from going through the same difficulty.

We will evaluate how you were treated, how the process was followed and whether the outcome is fair.

Can the Veterans Ombud change a VAC decision?

The Veterans Ombud cannot change a decision made by VAC. Instead, where we find an unfair decisions, we can advocate for fairness and seek a resolution on your behalf with VAC.
How do you contact the Veterans Ombud?

How can you contact the Veterans Ombud?

To submit a complaint, or to simply ask a question, you can reach us in whichever way is most convenient to you. And before you reach out, it is helpful to have all of your VAC documents ready for reference, and we will walk you through the process. If you are working on behalf of a Veteran, you will need to have proof of the Veteran’s consent.

You can reach us:

  • Online:
  • Toll free by telephone: 1-877-330-4343 or TTY: 1-833-902-9399
  • By fax (toll-free): 1-888-566-7582
  • By email:

You can also reach us by mail:

  • Office of the Veterans Ombud, P.O. Box 66 Charlottetown, PE  C1A 7K2

We are here to help when you are having difficulty with Veterans Affairs Canada. Our services are impartial, confidential and free. We look forward to being of service.

A message from the Government of Canada.